In the Beginning
Siddington Village Hall was built in 1921 on land off Ashton Road in the centre of Siddington village which is approximately 2 miles south from the attractive Cotswold town of Cirencester in Gloucestershire.
It was built as a Memorial Hall to those from the village who died in the Great War and the land on which it is built was originally given to the residents of Siddington Village by the then Lord Bathurst for this purpose. The building stone for the Main Hall is understood to have been recycled from a derelict Cotswold barn that originally stood at the end of “The Common” in Siddington. The cost of building the hall was covered by fundraising events and donations organised by the then residents of Siddington. (See our Archive page for reproductions of Wilts and Gloucester Standard articles from 1921 describing the meetings, fund raising events and opening ceremony. )
In the intervening years a number of additions and alterations have been carried out to provide a committee room, larger kitchen, improved toilet facilities, disabled access and storage areas.
Today the Hall is still owned by the village and is held in trust within a UK registered charity (no. 266818). It is operated according to the trust’s governing document dated 4th March 1975 (with subsequent amendments).
The primary stated object of the charity is:
” .. provision and maintenance of a village hall for the use of the inhabitants of Siddington without distinction of political, religious, or other opinions, including use for meetings, lectures and classes, and for other forms of recreation, and leisure-time occupation, with the object of improving the conditions of life for the said inhabitants”.
The Hall is managed and maintained by a small group of Volunteer Trustees who are elected or appointed according to the governing document every year at the AGM. Apart from the day to day activities associated with letting, maintenance and dealing with the legal aspects of managing the hall, the Trustees are actively involved with organising fund raising events and planning improvements to keep this village asset a pleasant facility for all to use.
The trustees meet approximately every six weeks to discuss management issues.
The present team of Trustees are:-
Chairman Denys Young (Elected Trustee)
Secretary Georgie Hayward (Elected Trustee)
Treasurer Philip Vickers (Elected Trustee) )
Bookings Secretary Mary Deller (Siddington with Preston Women’s Institute Representative Trustee)
Nigel Deller (Elected Trustee) (website admin)
Eleanor Jones(Parish Council Representative Trustee
Alister Painter (St. Peter’s Church Representative Trustee)
Christopher Tye (Elected Trustee)
Kim Tye (Elected Trustee)
If you are a resident in the Parish of Siddington and would be interested in helping run this village amenity by becoming a trustee (or in a less formal way as an volunteer helper) please contact one of the trustees above or email or phone.